The BEGINNER'S CORNER was created to help new seahorse keepers easily find information about tank set up and care!
Links to the most frequently asked questions can be found below!
If the magic of seahorses has compelled you to set up a tank for your very first pair, I commend you for taking the time to do things right by researching first! You have come to the right place, and we will do as much as we can to help you make your first experience with seahorses a fun and successful adventure!
This page includes links that will help you learn the basics (also in video and podcast form if you scroll past the links). So read as much as you can, and then feel free to ask any questions in the forum!
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- How to set up a seahorse tank?
- How to set up a seahorse tank extended version!
- How to set up a dwarf seahorse tank?
- How to acclimate and quarantine?
- Tank mates in a seahorse tank?
- What do seahorses eat?
- Coral in a seahorse tank?
- Macroalgae in a seahorse tank?
- The equipment needed for a seahorse tank and where to get it?
- Can live rock and sand be used in a seahorse tank?
- Flow in a seahorse tank?
- Clean up crew for a seahorse tank?
- Which seahorse is easiest to keep?
- What medications to have on hand for seahorses?
- What is CB?
- Why is buying captive bred seahorses important?
- Where to buy healthy CB Seahorses?
- How to acclimate and quaranting seahorses?
- How to get a new seahorse eating?
- Live foods and feeding needs in the seahorse tank?
- How often to do water changes?
- How to keep seahorses healthy and happy?
- How can a seahorse keeper go on vacation?
- How to help seahorses keep their color?
- Wild seahorses and the need for conservation?
- What is weak snick and how can I avoid it?
TOP 5 ARTICLES COVERING THE BASICS
- Things I wish I had known BEFORE buying seahorses
- Inverts for a seahorse tank
- Why a bigger tank will be better
- Questions to ask the seller
- Inspecting a seahorse you want to buy
LINKS TO HELP WITH SETTING UP THE TANK AND BUYING YOUR FIRST PAIR:
- Setting up the tank
- The Nitrogen Cycle
- What equipment is required
- Acclimation and Quarantine
- What questions to ask the person you’re buying from
- How to inspect a seahorse you want to buy
- Why to stick with snails and seahorses….at least at first?
- Why to buy captive bred:
- Why buy from a breeder:
- Which species to buy?
LINKS TO HELP WITH THE FIRST WEEK WITH YOUR SEAHORSES;
- What to expect the first week?
- What medications to have on hand?
- How to get a seahorse eating?
- Indications there might be a problem